Who is DCN?
DCN is a cooperative incorporated in New York providing drivers and their equipment to the transportation industry. Drivers become owner members of the co-op by purchasing a share of stock and signing a contract with DCN allowing DCN to service subscribing clients. The subscribing client contracts with DCN for the services of their owner members by making member settlement payments to DCN for their services. DCN pays members and issues them the appropriate 1099 under their Federal ID. In addition DCN assumes the role of primary defender, if challenges by government agencies arise!
What is DCN?
A cooperative is an autonomous association of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social, and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise.
These are the guidelines co-operatives use to put their values into practice.
• Voluntary and Open Membership Cooperatives are voluntary organizations, open to all persons able to use their services and willing to accept the responsibilities of membership, without gender, social, racial, political, or religious discrimination.
• Democratic Member Control Cooperatives are democratic organizations controlled by their members, who actively participate in setting their policies and making decisions. Men and women serving as elected representatives are accountable to the membership. In primary cooperatives members have equal voting rights (one member, one vote) and cooperatives at other levels are organized in a democratic manner.
• Member Economic Participation Members contribute equitably to, and democratically control, the capital of their cooperative. At least part of that capital is usually the common property of the cooperative. They usually receive limited compensation, if any, on capital subscribed as a condition of membership. Members allocate surpluses for any or all of the following purposes: developing the cooperative, possibly by setting up reserves, part of which at least would be indivisible; benefiting members in proportion to their transactions with the cooperative; and supporting other activities approved by the membership.
• Autonomy and Independence Cooperatives are autonomous, self-help organizations controlled by their members. If they enter into agreements with other organizations, including governments, or raise capital from external sources, they do so on terms that ensure democratic control by their members and maintain their cooperative autonomy.
• Education, Training and Information cooperatives provide education and training for their members, elected representatives, managers, and employees so they can contribute effectively to the development of their cooperatives. They inform the general public, particularly young people and opinion leaders, about the nature and benefits of cooperation.
• Cooperatives serve their members most effectively and strengthen the cooperative movement by working together through local, national, regional, and international structures.
• While focusing on member needs, cooperatives work for the sustainable development of their communities through policies accepted by their members.
DCN is a business owned and controlled by its shareholders. The shareholders participate and guide DCN on the direction of the company by attending annual shareholder meetings. By working together, they can reach objectives that would be unattainable if acting alone.
The objectives of DCN are as follows:
• Assist members on marketing their services to the transportation/Logistics industry
• Make available to the membership insurance programs protecting its members against work related accidents
• Provide settlement processing for services performed along with voluntary and mandated deductions.
• Provide access to an assortment of voluntary benefit programs such as health care, legal services, liability insurance, etc.
• Provide resources that assist the member with tools for growth, fleet management and financing, advertising, tax preparation and other useful services.
• A variety of discount programs such as fuel, tires, auto repairs, vehicle rental etc.
In summary, DCN is a corporation owned and controlled by the members. Rather than being a single person company or independent contractor you join hundreds of other members each adding value and stability to the whole.